The Philological Faculty of Bogdan Khmelnitsky Melitopol State Pedagogical University was founded in 1993. Since then, more than three thousand full-time students have graduated from the faculty. There are about two thousand graduates of the part-time department of philological specialties.
Faculty graduates work at schools, lyceums, colleges, technical schools in different regions of Ukraine, and those who are inclined to scientific research continue their graduate and postgraduate studies. The faculty takes care of training its own highly qualified personnel. The overwhelming majority of teachers of the Philological Faculty are graduates of various courses. As of the 2015-2016 academic years, fifty-seven teachers work at the faculty, thirty-eight of them have academic degrees and titles, and two lectures are Doctors of Science (DSc).
In the first academic year (1993-1994), the Doctor of Philological Sciences, Professor Naumenko Anatoliy Maksymovych, headed the faculty. Since the next academic year until 2015 the faculty was headed by the Candidate of Philological Sciences, associate professor Dergal Liubov Yakivna. In April 2015 the Candidate of Philological Sciences, associate professor Sharova Tetiana Mykhailivna was appointed acting Dean of the Philological Faculty. Since September 1, 2015 the Candidate of Pedagogical Sciences, associate professor Konovalenko Tetiana Vasylivna is the head of the faculty.
Educational process and research work are provided by the teachers of four departments:
· Methods of Teaching Germanic Languages;
· German Philology;
· Ukrainian Language;
· Ukrainian and Foreign Literature
Capable and talented young people study at the faculty, some students starting from the first year of study show interest in scientific work. They have the opportunity to take their first steps in science during the teacher and student sessions at the Melitopol State Pedagogical University and conferences that are held at our university and other educational institutions of Ukraine. Students of the faculty are regular participants and repeated winners of various rounds of the All-Ukrainian Petro Yatsyk competition of experts of the Ukrainian language, All-Ukrainian Taras Shevchenko competition of experts of the Ukrainian language, the All-Ukrainian competition of student research papers.
- specialty “Language and Literature (English, German; German, English)”: theoretical and practical courses in English and German, history of foreign literature, Ukrainian language, History of Ukrainian literature, pedagogy, psychology and other general education disciplines;
- specialty “Ukrainian Language and Literature. Language and Literature (English or German) “: theoretical and practical courses in the Ukrainian language, history of Ukrainian literature, history of foreign literature, theoretical and practical courses in English and German, general education disciplines;
- specialty “Ukrainian Language and Literature”: theoretical and practical courses in the Ukrainian language, history of Ukrainian literature, arts and crafts, history of fine arts, history of theatrical art, general education disciplines.
The faculty provides a master’s degree training in the specialties: “Ukrainian Language and Literature”, “Language and Literature (English)”, “Language and Literature (German)”. The departments providing the training of master's degrees in philology have highly qualified personnel, modern laboratory and research facilities. During the study period, students undergo a scientific and practical practice, professional and pre-diploma practice, which contribute to the preparation of master’s diploma work in the specialty.
Philology students are active participants in faculty and university-wide festivals and competitions, literature and musical evenings dedicated to the work of the famous figures of art and literature. The favorite of all students and teachers is the faculty KVN team (Club of the Cheerful and Quick-witted) “Filkina Gramota”.